Global Climate Observing System (GCOS)
The Global Climate Observing System (GCOS) is based upon the coordination of existing and planned operational observing systems and research programmes for observing global climate.
- Committee on Space Research (COSPAR)
- Future Earth
- Integrated Research on Disaster Risk (IRDR)
- Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR)
- Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR)
- Scientific Committee on Solar-Terrestrial Physics (SCOSTEP)
- Urban Health & Wellbeing
- World Climate Research Programme (WCRP)
GCOS also promotes further developments of these systems and programmes to ensure the required scope and continuity of observations for climate analysis and prediction.
It was established following the signing on 9 April 1992 of a Memorandum of Understanding by WMO, IOC of UNESCO, UNEP and ICSU to establish a Global Climate Observing System (GCOS).